Fences are essential as they ensure that what is meant to stay inside stays inside and what is meant to stay outside stays outside. The type of livestock and animal fencing one chooses depends on a variety of factors such as the type of livestock, the material required, the skillset required to erect the fence and how long the fence is intended to last. The type of fences could vary from fixed structures to portable structures. Below are the types of fences used for livestock and animals:
- Woven wire fences- These consist of horizontal wires held apart by vertical wires. These wires are smooth and made of steel. The height of this fence varies depending on the type of livestock one has.
- Barbed wire fences-These consist of two or more strands of galvanized wire that is twisted together with two or four sharp barbs. Though barbed wire fences are perceived as affordable, they require a lot of material and maintenance, which increases the cost. Also, barbed wires if handled inappropriately can cause injury to people in the farm and livestock when brushed against.
- Mesh wire fences-Mesh fences are made of galvanized welded mesh. They are easy to install and attractive to use on the farm.
- Electric fences-These are very easy to install because they do not require a lot of wiring as compared to barbed wire fences. They can be used for temporary or permanent fencing. electric fence fast is not dangerous to the animals as only a pulsating current is sent through the wires when livestock brushes up against it.
- Board fences-This is a strong, attractive and safe way to ensure livestock stay in. The boards should be attached to the wooden posts facing the animals to ensure that the animals do not push the boards off the post.
- High-tensile fixed-knot wire fences- The high-tensile, fixed-knot wire consists of a series of vertical and horizontal wires that are interconnected to form squares and rectangles of knotted wires. These wires are made with a higher carbon content than barbed wires. This increases the strength of the wires, making it a durable type of fencing. Furthermore, this type of fencing is versatile and requires minimal maintenance.
In conclusion, fencing on a farm is vital in ensuring the farmers’ livestock and animals are secure. Therefore, any of the above means of fencing can be used. The fencing materials used should ensure durability and require minimum maintenance.